Childcare Health Regulations
Regulations Governing the Health and Sanitation of Childcare Facilities, effective January 14, 2016
Childcare Violation Code Description Map
New Radon Testing Requirements - Radon testing must be conducted for existing licensed childcare facilities by May 17, 2017. For new childcare facilities, testing must be conducted within 6 months of occupancy. Test results must be on file at each facility and available for review. For more information:
Radon Testing and Results
How to Test for Radon (online quick train)
Licensed childcare facilities are required to follow the Colorado Regulations Governing the Health and Sanitation of Child Care Facilities and maintain up-to-date immunization records. Additionally, prior to the construction, remodeling, or modification of a childcare center, contact one of our Tri-County Environmental Health offices. For new construction, a plan review packet must be filled out and submitted for review, along with the fee associated with the review. Once construction is completed an onsite opening inspection and approval is required by the health department.
Tri-County staff members provide education on sanitation, diapering, hand-washing, disease prevention, immunizations, healthy food choices, safe food preparation and other public health issues.
- Diaper Changing Fact Sheet
- Sanitizing and Disinfection
- Health Update: Disease Guidelines for Childcare Centers
- Infectious Disease Guidelines in Childcare Settings
- Lice Fact Sheet
- Nutrition in Childcare
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention
Health Inspection Reports Online
Health inspections are available online for all restaurants, childcare, public/semi-public pools and body art / tattooing in our area from July 2013 to the present
- Does Tri-County Health Department issue licenses for childcare facilities?
- When are health inspections conducted?
- Does Tri-County Health Department routinely inspect home day cares?
- How can I get a copy of past health inspection reports?
- What resources are available about serving nutritious foods in our childcare center?
- What sort of foods is my center permitted to serve?
- What is the difference between a sanitizer and a disinfectant?
- What are the requirements for sanitizing and disinifecting with bleach?
- Does Tri-County offer training for child care center staff?
- We will be constucting a new facility, what do we need to complete?
- I’m interested in buying an existing child care center, what do I need to do before purchasing it?
- We will be adding a room or changing one of our rooms. What do I need to do?
- Who can I contact if I have questions about adding equipment?
- When will I be invoiced for my health inspection?
- My child care center was built before 1978. What are the concerns regarding lead paint and renovations / repairs?