Nutrition in Child Care
Foods, beverages, mealtime and physical environment all influence a child's health while they are cared for away from their home. The child care setting is the perfect place to expose children to healthy meals, activities and choices.
Child Health Resources for Early Care and
Healthy Eating Resources
- MyPlate fruit ideas (Spanish).
- MyPlate vegetables ideas (Spanish).
- MyPlate whole grain ideas (Spanish)
- List of cereals that contain whole grains and are also low in sugar.
- Lunch ideas for parents who bring food from home: A Month of Lunch Ideas
- Snack ideas for rotation at child care: A Month of Snack Ideas
- Colorado's Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
- Hidden Sugar resources through the Healthy Beverage Partnership
Healthy Celebrations in Early Care and Education
Early Childhood Obesity Prevention Messages
Tri-County Health Department Training Sessions
Through training sessions with community partners, registered dietitians communicate information related to health and nutrition topics. Training sessions may include subjects such as:
- Meal planning
- Label reading
- Sweetened beverages
- Whole grains
- Child Care program activities
- Role modeling
- Mealtime environment
- Regulations in place to support healthy child care practices
Infant Feeding and Breastfeeding Resources
- Colorado's Breastfeeding in Child Care Toolkit and more
- University of Northern Colorado Infant Feeding Information and Best Practices for Child Care facilities.
Active Living Resources
Online Instructional Video for Child Care Professionals
- Early Learning: Preventing Obesity and Promoting Wellness in Early Childhood Settings
- Food Friends: Fun with New Foods and Mighty Moves
Health and Safety in Child Care