How does a child get exposed to lead?
Usually lead poisoning happens when a person eats or breathes in small amounts of lead in paint dust or common household items. Children are at higher risk of poisoning because they typically crawl and play on the floor, where lead dust from lead based paint settles. Also, to explore their world, they frequently mouth objects. If these items contain lead or are covered with lead dust, the child may ingest the lead.

Show All Answers

1. What are symptoms of lead poisoning in a child?
2. How does a child get exposed to lead?
3. What in my home may contain lead?
4. What can I do to protect myself and my family from exposure to lead?
5. What services does Tri-County Health provide if my child has an elevated blood lead level (EBLL)?
6. What foods should I feed my child to reduce the absorption of lead in her body?
7. If my child has an elevated blood lead level (EBLL), what is the one most effective thing I can do to prevent further exposure?
8. How can I find a Colorado certified lead contractor to permanently remove lead-based paint in my home or hire a certified lead professional who can do a lead evaluation of my home?
9. Are there regulations for testing painted surfaces like walls and windows in a home prior to renovations, remodeling projects, repairs, and painting jobs?
10. Can family members bring home lead from their job and lead poison my child?