Water is essential to life. The drinking water we receive comes from ground water, streams, lakes and springs. Therefore, protecting source water from contamination and treating drinking water to eliminate germs are both crucial to providing safe water for the public.
When it comes to water, public health concerns include pollution prevention, water quality testing, waterborne disease prevention and fluoridation of drinking water to prevent cavities. Contaminated drinking water can expose people to waterborne pathogens including cryptosporidium and giardia.
FREE Adams County Water Well Sampling Program
Adams County is offering a free well testing program for residents who meet these two eligibility requirements: 1) The well must be located west of Imboden Road in unincorporated Adams County. 2) The well must be located within one-half mile from an existing oil and gas well. In addition, this Consent Form (PDF) must be completed and submitted by email. If you are interested in having your well tested through this free program, please contact us at 720-200-1583 or by email.
Perfluorinated Compounds – PFCs
PFCs are human made chemicals that have been discovered in groundwater in certain areas of Colorado including the Commerce City area. PFCs have been used for decades as an ingredient to make products that resist heat, oil, stains, grease and water. For more information about PFCs click on the links below.
- Wells - Information on how to care for your well and links to well permitting through the Colorado Division of Water Resources.
- Water Testing - Information on laboratories that test private well water, suggestions on what to test for, and how to interpret test results.
- Drinking Water - Information on drinking water regulations for water provider, water quality parameters such as water hardness and lead, and Toolkits for Small Water Systems that undergo periodic sanitary surveys to ensure they are delivering water that meets or exceeds federal and state regulatory standards.
- Conservation - Information on graywater use and rainwater harvesting.
- Stormwater- Information on stormwater programs in each county.
- Adams County: http://www.adcogov.org/stormwater-awareness
- Arapahoe County: https://www.arapahoegov.com/2127/Stormwater-Management
- Douglas County: https://www.douglas.co.us/water/stormwater/stormwater-public-education-outreach/