Public Health / Community Nutrition Internship
Tri-County Health Department offers a dietetic internship accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND).
They did it! Graduation 2019
Red noses at WIC Workshop
Mango House with TCHD past and current interns
Clinical Research Rotation
Fall Clinical Rotation
Happy intern's WIC grocery shopping
Taking a break at RD planning day
National School Lunch
Anythink Library and Farmers Market
Community Outreach Class
Conference Day at Children's Hospital
GrowHaus Team Building
First Day of Internship
TCHD past dietetic interns at CAND conference
WIC Community Garden
That Sugar Film Viewing
Credentialing process to become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist (RDN)
- A minimum of a Baccalaureate degree granted by a U.S. regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Successful completion of program will result in the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) issuing a verification statement for eligibility to complete a dietetic internship.
- Complete ACEND-accredited supervised practice program (Dietetic Internship, Coordinated Program or Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP). Typically, a program will run eight to 24 months in length. Successful completion of program will result in a Dietetic Internship (DI) verification statement which establishes eligibility to sit for the national standardized exam administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
- Pass the Commission on Dietetic Registration's (CDR) dietetic registration national exam.
- Gain licensure in your state of practice, if applicable.
- Complete continuing professional education requirements to maintain registration.
"Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). In addition, CDR requires that individuals complete coursework and supervised practice in program(s) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)".
- Community Nutrition / Public Health Concentration
- Six interns selected annually during Spring Match
- 10.5-month program (46 weeks)
- Wide variety of dietetic experiences and didactic opportunities
- Variety of learning opportunities through attending local conferences and dietetic association meetings
- Over 30 RDs on staff at Tri-County and many opportunities to network with local area RDN's.
- Caring preceptors to guide interns
- Graduates have a 100% first-time pass rate on RD exam, which meets ACEND requirements with commendation
∗ Outcome data on program objectives are available upon request
Tri-County's internship particpates in the Spring Match. Applications (PDF) must be submitted via DICAS by February 15, 2020 (11:59 pm Central Time). The application fee of $70 must also be paid to Tri-County Health Department by February 15, 2020. The application fee can be paid for online or via check. For more information, please view our Internship Application Packet (PDF).
Tri-County's internship participates in the computer matching process through D&D Digital Systems. For more information, contact Dietetic Internship Director Michelle Harris at 720-200-1513 or follow us on Facebook.
This program is currently granted accreditation status by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). ACEND is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. ACEND can be reached at 800-877-1600, ext. 5400, or in person at:
120 South Riverside Plaza
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
November 27, 2019 10:00 am -12:00 pm
January 7, 2020 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Informational meetings will be held at the Tri-County Health Department Administrative Office located at 6162 S. Willow Drive, Suite 100 Greenwood Village, CO 80111.
Please contact Michelle via email for further information.